Friday, October 8, 2010

Blogging on bed rest.



So...I have pretty much had a hard week my friends. On Tuesday at approximately 6:15PM, I had a pretty nasty bicycle accident on the paved bike trail where I live in Colorado. Obviously I am ok, but I am on my 3rd day of bed rest per the ER doctor's orders, and I feel like I was hit by a truck...or I slammed into the cement after flipping over my bike.

Anyhoo, needless to say its been a rough week. I'm healing from a sprained wrist, bruised abdomen, missing skin on my arms and knee (road burn), and a banged up head to toe body.

From what I can remember, I was going down hill on my bike (NO BIKE HELMET) and I stretched out my feet and the tip of my shoe went into my front wheel spokes.

At that moment, I was ejected over my bike's handle bars, but not before they had enough time to turn into my abdomen stabbing and giving me a severe contusion (bruise). Well the whole scene was in slow motion, but happened at lightening speed if that makes any sense.

I can recall my bike flipping as I was flying in the air hurling toward that fateful cold white cement. My head bounced off the hard bike trail as I crash landed with no air in my body. I literally had knocked the wind out of me as they say and all I could gasp was "HELP ME HEAVENLY FATHER!"

Well after God saw fit to bestow the gift of breath back into my lungs, I lie there on the cement just still and paralyzed with shock and fear of what was happening to me.

I kid you not, the thought in my head was, "this cannot be happening...am I actually laying here on the floor?!" Well, thankfully some bike path walkers ran over to me and instantly started helping me. A very kind woman helped me get to my feet, but I almost passed out, so she made me sit back down.

This earthly Angel called my family so they could come get me. Thankfully my Mother in her triumphant Toyota Venza chariot came speeding down the bike path illegally to my rescue.

We then headed over to the ER where I remained for the next 7 hours. After 2 CAT scans, several X-Rays, a painful scrubbing of my road rash wounds, and a few doses of pain medication, the doctor said I was a lucky little boy to not have more serious injuries. I did have a little bit of Heavenly help by way of two great Elder's from the LDS church who came to give me a blessing. Brother Flint and Colburn were awesome and so compassionate.

I've been on bed rest for 3 days so far, and I have a headache that comes and goes causing me slight nauseousness. My body feels like it was hit by a semi, but day 3 is so much better than day 1. I was literally crying like a baby in pain the next morning as my poor wife left me to go to work.

Thankfully, my accident wasn't a horrible tragedy like it could have been according to all the medical professionals who told me to wear a helmet from now on. I must agree that I am blessed from my Father in Heaven. He looked out for me, and help my hand every step of the way, and for that my testimony is even that much stronger and I am so grateful.

I no longer have "white boy Jr ", aka my white mountain bike. May he rest in peace, and I wish to thank him for helping me to lose 35 pounds over the summer and early fall. White Boy Jr. was the best bike a 30 year old kid ever got, and he will be missed dearly.

On that note my friends, the moral of the story is to always protect yourself with the appropriate helmet and gear, and to count your blessings daily. In an instant, your whole life can change...thankfully mine is changed for the better, as I will be wise about my bike safety.

Have a happy weekend friends =)

Bobby

1 comment:

Liz said...

Glad to hear you are doing better and I can totally see your mom off roading it to your rescue, lol.