Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My FUTURE Life In France.



So I am reading this GREAT book called "My Life In France" from the French Chef extraordinaire herself, Julia Child. Yes I know this sounds weird, but I saw the movie "Julie & Julia" (inspired by Julia Child's book) a while back and it has been in my DVD player ever since.

You might ask why I love this movie so much....me too. The whole premise of the movie was about taking chances and discovering what your passion is in life, and DOING SOMETHING about it. How profound.

In the movie, the main character Juile is 29 turning 30 ans SCARED crap-less about the state of her life. Well that hit a nerve. Through course of cooking her way through Julia Child's "Mastering The Art Of French Cooking," she realized 30 was okay, and she achieved her dreams of being a published writer.

Now, cooking won't help me get my dreams of being an internationally known recording artist realized, but it's the simple idea that greatness is a choice, and you can decide to choose to do great things, or watch other people around you do great things while you watch.

My greatness, in my humble opinion, is not defined by me selling MILLIONS of albums and being filthy rich (it could be, and I wouldn't hate that idea) but rather, being happy with your life and what you ALREADY have. There's a saying I have on my Facebook profile quote that says "Happiness is wanting what you already have."

How true that sentiment is for me. I have a wife who adores me with all my flawed loveability. I have a Mother & Father who are amazing in so many ways, and have proven to be supreme parents throughout my young 30 years. I have a sister who is so amazingly complex, but loving and caring, and my best friend. I have a nephew who is the key to my existence. He provides a spirit so close to Godliness that he can warm my heart even on it's coldest days. I have the most entertaining and loyal dogs and cat anyone could ever hope for. And, most importantly, I have a testimony of the power of God's presence and work in my life.

I won't site here and tell you I'm super spiritual and able to walk on water, but I will tell you that I know I have a Father in Heaven who loves me know matter how imperfect I can be. I know that HE has provided a plan of salvation and that if I am worthy and diligent till my end, I can go live with Him again one day. It's kinda funny cause the radio stations I work for are running those catchy "I'm a Mormon" commercials all the time, and I seem to be the go-to-Mormon guy of why The LDS church is advertising. Good times.

Anyway, this blog post was to tell you how great "My Life In France" by Julia Child is. So there you have it, THE BOOK IS A GREAT READ. Julia wrote this book with her grand-nephew and she has such a way of captivating your senses that you almost feel like you are in France with her. From the way she describes the delicious smells, aromas, and tastes of French cooking, to her childlike sense of wonderment in discovering her passion for French food and culture. In one of the lines, Julia says: "I just must BE French"

I'm not done with the book yet, but it is so good. I read it on my lunch hour and end up with a vigorous salivating hunger for food. Not good when you are trying to watch your diet with healthy foods. I feel fat just reading about the amount of butter, cheese and bread within the book's pages. Anyway, I found some pics from the book that I thought you might enjoy. The photos are from Julia's loving husband and soulmate, Paul Child (in the middle photo):







Bon Appetit!

No comments: